Well, I learned a little more about poison oak. I now know it is not only the leaves that have the poison oil on them but the most of it is in the stems. It is the live blood of the plant and is the fluid in the veins of the the vine. The vine can be “dead” or just dormant but the oil is still in the stem and when you break the stem the oil sprays all over you. That is why if you try to burn “dry, dead” poison oak, you can catch it from the smoke. The oil is still in the stems for years and the heat of the fire boils it out the end of the stems and is carried off by the smoke, so watch out!!
I think I am finally on the mend. I got into the poison oak and it got so bad it turned into rash like burn with big weeping patches. I am still pretty much laid up and only doing inside work that is needed but am getting better now and hope to be outside working again soon. Norman has been working on the gardens and everything has been harvested now except a few leeks and four green pepper plants and a half row of carrots that are not fully grown yet. This next week we hope to get a truck load of mulch to put on the flower gardens to help lightened the soil and keep the weeds down for the winter. We do not have the stable manure this year to put on the vegetable gardens so will put on some compost this fall and then get some bagged compost in the spring. The soil is so well built up it really does’t need much this year anyways but do want to have it still ready for planting in March. Have a great day and keep well.