Guy Thayer, my father, was in college in 1917 at the University of

New Hampshire.  This is his diary covering the period between 1917

and 1920.  He tells of his service in World War I.

  resume my course at the beginning

of the second semester

Within two weeks I began to seriously

think of enlisting.  Paul Clark, a friend

of mine, about my age, came home and

mentioned the fact that he was thinking

of taking the same step.  the deed was done.  A week or more we

talked army, about the town and then went to Peterboro to

sign into the National Guard with the Mounted Machine

Gunners.  Paul was accepted and I thrown down because

I was under sized (he only stood about 5 foot 2 inches tall)

and had  vericocle.  I kept on trying however and finally

succeeded in getting into the Med. Corps Aug. 5, 1917

at Ft. Slocum, N.Y.

On Aug. 14, 125 of us were sent to Ft. Oglethorpe, Ga.

It was a two-day journey over the Penn. and Central

of Georgia RRs.

Upon arriving in Georgia, 50 of us were assigned to

Sanitary Co # N Camp Greenleaf  Vt. O.<.C.  The other

70 were scattered all over the states.

The Sanitary Co proved to be a service company.  Our work

consisted of caring for M.R.C. Barracks, building roads,

digging latrines and draining swampy places about camp.

It was dull work to be sure but excellent for discipline and

bringing out the best and worst in our men.

On Oct 19, six of us were transferred to Quacuation

Hos. #3.  The duty there proved to be much more interesting.

For a while we detested and attended lectures about hospital

work and info on sanitation.  Later on we were given some

functional experience at the post hospital. ( It was at this

 base that the sanitation guide lines were developed

for the trenches)  

   Everything went well for a couple of months

and then the men began to get anxious to be

on the move.  At last the order came  and

in no time the camp was filled with the

excitement of moving. All night we worked

to get our property aboard the train at Lytle,

GA. and tho next morning was Xmas morning

found us entrained for Camp Merritt, N.Y.

We spent two wonderful and disappointing weeks for me at

Camp Merritt.                        

Wonderful in that there was  practically no duties to

perform and plenty of   chances to see New York  City,

disappointing in that I,  who so near home and  yet

unable to visit my relatives.

We got our last view of the Statue of Liberty about eight o’clock

in the evening of Jan. 12  while on board the U S S Madawaska,

formerly the  Kornig  Wilhelam II of Hamburg,  American line.

The trip was uneventful except for a heavy wind storm the sixth

day out and the sighting of a submarine on the last day.  We

landed at St Lazare, France  Jan. 27 and proceeded to Camp #1

about two miles out from the dock.

Five days after we set out in ten divisions, one went to Toursand,

the one I was in to Blois.  What a trip it was 26 hours in tiny box

cars, 30 men to the car and no place to sleep.

Upon our arrival in Blois my detachment was sent to the Casence,

an army fort right by Napoleon III in 1863  There we were

quanitined 10 days for spinal meningitis.

When released 22 of us were sent to Hospital 13 of Camp


25  2/17/17

April 14, 1918  It has been a little over five weeks now since I

was first on night duty in  Ward three, a medical ward of

Hospital 13.  The first four weeks were the happiest, everything

considered, that I have spent in the last four years.

Miss White, the night nurse proved to be a royal good fellow.  I

certainly enjoyed that four weeks and I did my best to make her

do the same.  Now I am counting the days until it is her turn to

come on night duty again.

Miss Mechling, who is now on night duty with me seems to be

a nice girl but she cannot take Miss White’s place by any means.

A few days ago I had my first letter from Paul C.  It was the first

time I have heard from him since we left home.  One can imagine

how glad I was to get word that he is alive and well altho he is

doing his second trick in the trenches with the 103 M. G. Balt.

4/18/18  Had a letter from Marguerite Stunton the 16th.  It was

the first in over ten weeks.  I thought that she had forgotten me or

had tired of writing and I likewise was doing my best to forget her.

I might have succeeded had she not written me.  But now I know

that I can not forget her, nor have I any desire to do so.

The weather continues to be dull and dreary with plenty

of rain.  Have but only one pleasant day so far this month.

4/20/18  Nothing new today except that it was a fine sunshiny

day!  Miss White is now on night duty at Hospital 29 so will not

likely her duty with me again.  Darn the luck and how!

4/23/18  Capt McEvers succeeds Capt Johns as C.O. of Hosp. 13.

Lt Carpenter one of our ward surgeons also left.

4/24/18 Capt McEvers  is beginning to tear things loose as he did

at Camp Greenleaf, when he was C.O. of Evac. #3.  Has given no

night men a place to sleep at Hosp. #1.  Also moved the surgical

ward over there.  Have heard that the nurses are going to live

over there  after Friday.

4/27/18   Another fair day but I slept until five PM so did not

see much of it.  The nurses are living at Hosp.29 and we night

men are occupying their old quarters.

Was very much disappointed in not getting a letter from home

to-day.  It is a little over two weeks since I received my last letter

from the states.  That of course is not a long time for mail to be

delayed yet it seems as such for my mail has been coming nearly

every week.

It is rumored that a base hospital unit is about to come here and

take over our Hospital.  If it does we are said to be going to

Orleans to open another Camp Hospital.         Had the chance

offered me to go on day duty with the hint that I could be

wardmaster if I want the job.  I don’t like to take favors of the

men who would make the place for me and also want no part

of a wardmaster job so decided to stay on night duty.

May 13, 1918    Am in Blois yet and on night duty in Ward III.

The rumor now is that we are to stay here until Sept or possibly

the first of next March.

Miss Meckling has been succeeded by Miss Egan.  The only

thing I know about her is that she is heart-broken because one of

the men in the Ditch was recently sent up near the front..

Yesterday was Mother’s day.  I attended church, for the first

time since last August, in a little Huguenot Church just around

the corner from the Hosp.  I received communion for the first time.

Had a letter from P.C. a few days ago in which he tried to tell me

that I was lucky to get into the Med Dept.  I doubt very much if he

really knows what it is to be in the S.O.R. or how it feels to be an

orderly when ones expected to be nothing less than chief chemist

in some immense U.S. lab.  C’est l’guerre.  He writes that life might

be comfortable in the trenches if it were not for the mud and water.

But his good old Uncle Sam has helped matters greatly by issuing

rubber boots which reach to the hips.

May 17, 1918   three good days and two of them made good use of.

On the 15th Melton Schilosser and I walked out to a little town 7

K distant.  Saw some wonderful country and several “birds”.

Yesterday we visited an old French cemetery where seven Am.

Ex/p men are buried.  It is quaint old place surrounded by a high

stone wall.  The French bodies are placed one above the other in

very deep graves.  Many of them have little chapels or shrines

built above them.

Have a new nurse on to-night.  Miss Egan got sick of her job and

succeeded in getting relief.

3/21/18   Was made private 1st class on the 16th and the notice

of promotion was published the 18th.  Yesterday was my 21st

Birthday.  How little I expected to spend it in France.  Two of my

patients came in drunk and one of them was sure some sick to his

stomach.  To-day the two of them had to spend 4 hrs in the

dungeon under Hosp. #1.

June 6, 1918   Miss Nickols, Miss Egans relief stays about a

week and then Miss Egan came back on the job.  She goes off

Wed and Miss Mechling comes on again.

July 1, 1918   Turned our hospital at Blois over to Base Hosp. #43

7/8/18   Left Blois.  The Poulain chocolate factory burned last

night.  The alarm was given just in time to prevent a free for all

between the Eng. outfit and our men.

7/10/18   Took up our quarters in  Kimerricourt.    7/17/18 

 Did our first cootie inspection yesterday.  Have been having foot

and gas mask drill each Sunday.

   Miss White did not come with us.  She was ordered back to her

 base together with all but six of the nurses that were with us.

   Aug. 28, 1918  Arrived at La Ferto Milou where we set up our

hospital the 29th of July.  On Aug. 4 we started to move to

Crezancy.  finished moving on the 7.

Last Thursday night two German planes passed near us but

did not trouble us at all.

Have been working in the receiving wards nights since we came

here.  Have helped handle about 3,000 cases of gas and wounds.

Last two nights have not had many patients.  Hope it continues

tho same for a quiet time assures us that not many are wounded

or gassed.

Aug 30, 1918  Left Crezancy Aug 20 and reached our next hospital

about 2 A.M.  Aug 22.  Moved from Evac #1 to our present site

outside Toul hospital 25.  Have received no wounded as yet.

We have wored to set (then I can’t read the next word or two)

carring for ( can’t make it out) four corps (and can’t read the

last line .)

I recently received word that Paul Clark was in the hospital but

has now been returned to duty.  Did not learn wheather he was

wounded, gassed or was sick.  I wish that he would write as the

first letter which he wrote me was dated April 26.

Col Lampson left us at Crezancy and Major  took his place as

C.O.  At present we have about 400 men  at present and 71 murses.

It is rumored that ( and then I can’t read it —declared A —–

Med Dept —-a –for its other —wants of the service)   I think

some times that I would like to transfere to Pauls Co except I think

that the best way to get there is to go there ___ and that the best

of everything first as it comes along.

Sept 5, 1918    Working in the same place but on day duty.  Life

is the same old round except that it has rained for the last two days.

Haven’t received any mail for so long that I have forgotten what

an U.S. Postage stamp looks like.    

   Sept. 18, 1918   Getting ready to move again.  The drive started

 last Thursday.  We had our usual run of  patients until they

 began to come in with gas, gangrene and our business stops

  then and we got our orders to pack things strongly for a long


   Got a bunch of mail in the last week but have had no time to

 answer it.  Letter from J.S.W. saying that she was rather tired

 of her base and would like to be detached duty again.

 Sept 21/18 La Place de Fleures Sur Aire  The station being

called Fleury

   On the 19th we packed our equipment. Yesterday our trucks

came in and we loaded at once.  Left Toul about 1 PM coming

thru Void and Bar le Ducand reaching this camp about 2 AM.

  The last of our trucks were unloaded about 9 this morning. 

 Was called out for guard at 2:30 this afternoon so had very

 little sleep.

   This is one of the most out of the way places which we have got

stuck.  There is no town within five miles and no passes are

allowed to it.  The only thing to it is the rail center and French


   This PM we saw our first big guns.  They broke thru on flat  on

their way to the Verdun  sector.

Things are going rather rotten at present.  About half of the men

are really working and the rest are laying down on the job.  Those

that do work are continually ridden in an attempt to get them to do

more.  But why complain it is my fault that I don’t beat detail the

way some do.  A chance will come sometime for me to get out of

the company and I think that I will jump at it.  Wish that I night

get into Paul’s outfit.

We got rid of our nurses at Toul but have their baggage with us

as we expect to have them with us again as soon as we find a safe

place to stay in.

Guess I’ll have to take forty winks before I go on post again.

9/22/18  That 24 hours guard duty is tough and I am mighty

 glad of it for it is raining hard.   Have got to help get our

 quarters in shape this P.M,

.  It will be some job for there are to be 75 of us in a building

 about 90″ X 20″.  That is not all that will be here for many of

the French beds which we are to use have straw ticks on them

 and straw in this part of the country is another word for cooties. 

 I think right now that I have about sixteen of the friendly beggars

 in my possession.

9/23/18  Another day.  Have done nothing but help straighten

 out our equipment and throw out what we con’t need.  Had a

 letter from Florence Wheeler (a class mate from Wilton High

 School)  She expects to go back to Pitsburg, N.H.  this winter.

Preperations are still going on for the drive in this sector.  More

big guns and many men sent up today.  some of the men have

been in the service only seven weeks.  They got their first gas

mask drill while laying over here for a couple hours.

9/27/18   A rainy day but the sun is shining now.  Got a letter

from home yesterday saying that Emil Dion (a friend from

 Harrisville,N.H.) had been gassed in the Chateau Thiery drive

and that Forrest Thayer (a cousin from Haverhill, N.H.) has

been shell shocked.  Have done nothing since we came here but

move our property about and help A.R.C. Hosp. 114 get started.

The drive on this front started night before last.  Our troops

advanced but todays rain probably checked them some.  So far

the casualities have not been as numeraous as in other advances.

Just now recieved orders to have out barrack’s bags ready to

move out at a moments notice.  We will probably leave within

72 hours.  No more strenuous work for 114.  Am glad to be on the

move again.  We will soon be on the job again receiving and caring

for the wounded again.

9/29/18  Moved into pup tents yesterday morning.  Was put on a

litter bearing detail about 8AM.  Worked on that job until 7 PM

and then worked in the operating until 10 P.M.  It rained during

the night and a nice little pond of water formed on my blankets.

I managed to keep dry by rolling into one position for the rest of

the night.  Many of the tents came down because the pins wouldn’t

hold in the muddy ground.  Tonight I think I will crawl into some

corner about this building and get a good nights rest.

The lines are advancing again.  Many prisoners are being taken

and Bulgarier is asking for a truce with peace as an object.  That

news sounds good for it may indicate an end of hostilities by

Xmas.    Hope we move up the lines before long.

10/1/18   Am writing in a box car at Flemy while waiting for the

train to start.  We are loaded and are on the move again.  There

are almost forty of us.  Imagine 40 men in a little more than twice

a side door pullman.  All of them  have very muddy feet.  Each one

is trying to clean them on some some guy near him.  The engine

was just hooked on.

We have worked hard all day on small rations but that doesn’t

affect the spirits of the men.  They are singing and laughing.  No

matter how hard life is or how much we may have to complain

about the fact that we are on the move makes everyone happy.

The only light we have is a candle and that casts a shadow on my

pages so that I might as well be writing in the dark.     At l.ast we

have left A R C Evac Hosp. 114.  Some how we did not work very

well with them.  For the last three days have been carrying patients

from the x-ray to the operating tables from 7 a.m. to 7 PM. and

helping little operating room from 7 P.M. to 11 P.M or 2 A.M.

Have seen some horrible wounds.  One of the men who came in

last night had no lower jaw and only part of his upper jaw and

nose.   The train has started so had better stop.  Have no idea

where we are going or when we will get there.

7/10/18  –  Oct 7/18    Landed at Curperly on the morning of the

2nd.  Proceeded to set up and get to work.  The first two nights

I worked in the walking wounded tents, nice then have been in

the operating room working on the select team.   Am on duty 18

hrs and off 6.  It seems as if the whoole second division has gone

thru our hospital.  They were relieved today.  Like the work and

hope that they keep me at it.

11/12/18  Lost my job in the operating Room.  A wardmaster

was need so I was put on the job last night.  Went to Suippes

yesterday P.M.  Not much to see.  The town was shelled some

time ago.  Evac 18 came in last night.

10/14/18   Have had a two day rest.  No patients have yet been sent

to my ward since E.H. 18 came so have done nothing but cart and

sleep.  Yesterday I stayed in bed nearly all day and expect to do the

same to-day.  Day before yesterday I walked to La Cheppe.

Nothing of interest there except a de-lousing station.   Yesterday’s

papers stated that the Germans have accepted Pres. Wilson’s

peace terms and are evacuating Alsace – Loraine and Belgiar in

17 hrs.  I hope it is true for if it is some of the boys will be home by

X-mas.  I hope that I may be home by Aug. 18.

A few days ago we put in a request for 50 prisoners.  53 were

sent to us and now we have 56.  Where the last 3 came from is

more than anyone can tell.  One tried to desert froma beasly

French Hosp. beside our outfit.  I suppose the reason is that we

at least treat them well.    They have to work hard but are given

good quarters and eat the same mess as the enlisted men.

Am very extravagent this morning.  Am burning two candles

to keep me tent warm.  Imagine two soldiers living in a house

small enough to be warmed by two candles.  However we

manage very well.  Sometimes we have a hard time to keep

it dry after about 6 days rain but have managed to do so, so far.

We have blankets enough to keep warm.  There is no straw for

a bed but the ground is even and fairly comfortable especially

with about four blankets doubled and put under us.

Some of the boys lead a miserable life in tents.  They never

ditch them and always a wet floor both in wet and dry weather.

When ever it rains they forget to put something up at the front

and let their blankets get wet.  That means a cold miserable life

for them until the sun comes out.  We have not experienced a

snow storm yet.  But I feel certain that in half a day or two men

could fix a shelter with which they could live during a fairly

severe winter.

Yesterday morning it became known that two of the nurses were

AWOL.  On their return they were put under armed guard

pending Court Martial.  Whenever one of them wishes to leave

the tent she has to go with a man with gun over her shoulder

behind her.  It pleases a lot of the boys to find that they are not

the only ones who suffer when caught going AWOL.

Oct 19,1918  Still resting.  Have had just one patient since the

first night.  Now my ward is full of officers from Evac 18 so all

I have to do is eat, sleep, and keep out of the “tops”sight.

Yesterday at 11 o’clock John Schlosser and I started on a little

trip.  At 1 o’clock we were at Somme Bionne having passed throu

Sneppes, Somme-Snippes and Somme-Thorbe a distance of

about 29K.  Were back in camp at 3 o’clock.  To-day I went to

La Cheppe and wrote a couple of letters at the Y.M.C.A.  Have

not had a letter from home for so long that I have forgotten what

a post mark looks like.

Yesterday we had orders to pack up.  Last night the order was

resinded.  Perhaps the men higher up expect the war to be over

before we could move and set up again.  Am still living in”pup”

tents.  Am having a fine time keeping warm and dry in there.

Am succeeding very well.

The C.O. has given us a tent (ward) to gather in evenings and

when off duty.  The Red Cross Captain donated a victrola and

a number of records.  Between that and three footballs the boys

manage to take the monotony somewhat out of life.

The one great inconvience of living in “pup tents” is the

scarcesity of water.  The only water we get we have to carry

about two blocks in a pail and after we get it, it is so cold that

it doesn’t start the dirt.  We usually sleep in our clothes so don’t

notice it much if we don’t happen to wash before breakfast.

Sept 21, 1918   A fair day at last.  Was up for dinner to-day.

Something unusual for me.  Our Germans and about 50 of our

men went up the line this PM to get our next camp ready for us.

The rest of us will probably leave in ablut three days.  Hope we

get some mail before then.  Haven’t had any since I left Fleury.

The days go slowly when one gets no mail to break the

monotony.  Haven’t been paid yet this month so have not

been able to go to Chalous yet.

I understand that we are to go into winter quarters soon.  I hope

the rumor is true for 4 months in pup tents is quite enough.

Yet somehow I like the life.  As long as the mess continues

excellant and we are allowed what blankets we need we can lead

a comfortable life.  it takes about two hours to make a water tight

tent and if we can find some straw that isn’t full of cooties one can

lead the life of “Reilly”

10/22/18   Started packing this morning but first got orders

to stop packing.  No one seems to know why.  Perhaps the war

is over.

Still rainy weather.  it seems as if it could do something but

rain here.

Started to move again.  Pulled down some tents yesterday and

more to-day.  Most of our operating teams have left.  Some say that

we are going to a base.  I hope so.  Had two letters from home, two

from Miss Garland, one from Marguerite, two from Doris Story

and one from Maxwell Spually.  Was surprised to hear from

Spually as I had heard that he was preported missing last May.

Nov 4, 1918   Moved from pup tents into yard tents using

stretchers for beds.  Have packed all our equipment.  Austria

signed an armistice yesterday and Turkey on the first so time for

us to go home is approaching.  Hope it is not too long.

Am not working very hard at present just stalling around and

doing necessary details.   The Germans do most of the camp work.

Yesterday morning dug in and to-day had to fill up the hole

I dug. C’est la Guerreir.   Believe we have set up for the last time.

11/11/18  Left Caiberty the 9th and landed in Souhenarue

la Graisle on the 10th.  The Armistice was signed yesterday at

11 o’clock.  At present we are in barracks and have very little to

do.  Fatigue call is at 9 A.M.

Had some trip into here.  There were 26 in my car yet it was cold.

Have had a cold for about three weeks so spent a poor night altho

I had two blankets and a shelter half to use.  Heard last night that

Pauls regement is at Verdun which is about 12 Kilo from here.

Will try to see him in a day or so.

11/19/18   Went to Verdun on the 12th to see Paul.  His company

was not there.  A few of the Y.D ( Yankee Division) were there

going on leave.  The Y.D. is now marching into Germany.  A

few nights ago the nurses wanted a dance so the C.O. ordered

the men out of one of their barracks and to clean it for the

dance.  While cleaning the boys sprinkled two boxes of pepper

about.  The lights went out a few times so the dance was almost

a failure.  Another dance was held last night but it was in the

officers mess hall.

This morning High Military Mass was said in the Cathedral

of Verdun.  It was the first service in four years.  Many of the

boys went.

Today we started drilling again.  hope we get home soon for I

have done all the drilling I wish to do.  Setting up exercises are to

be resumed to-morrow.

11/24/18   Went to Souilly yesterday and got some American

chocolates.  the first I have had since leaving Cregancy.

11/29/18  On guard again.  This is the second time on since here.

Have had bad weather for three days so have had an easy pleasant

job on hand.

Yesterday was Thanksgiving but how different from others.

12/3/18  Moving again.  Raining as usual.  Don’t expect to fall

out tonight.  Going to referly, 30 men, 15 officers and 20 nurses

were at it yesterday.   Have an American train to travel.  The first

since being in France.  Will probably make the trip in about half

the time it would take a Frog outfit.    We are not homeward

bound yet.  We are leaving France,  that will be some

consolodation anyhow .  Have enjoyed as much as possible the

time we have been in France but now that hostilities have ceased

I am very glad to be leaving.

Dec 5-18  Souilly.  Loaded at Vadeliu Court and pulled out this

PM.  After laying over in the yard 18 hours.  The car I am in is

about 1/3 full of electric light equipment, carpenter tools, and

the dental equipment.  There are ten other men.  six of them

have cots and the rest of us are sleeping on mattresses laid on

coffin covers which are placed over the top of the  equipment to

make a level place.  We also have a stove in the car and plenty of

hospital blankets so are living like princes.

Our train of about 35 cars is said to be the first entriely

American train to enter German Territory.  At present we are

waiting for the tracks to be cleared and a derailment so that we

may go on.

At times it seems like hard luck to have to go into Germany while

divisions like the 76th which has been over about 3 months is on

its way to the states.  And then again I am glad to go.  If I only get

home by May 1 I will be satisfied.

Dec 11-18   Landed at Treves last Sunday evening.  Wored all night

in loading and hauling our eqyip. to the Von Horn Barracks where

we are stationed.  Have good quarters and a good hospital.  Most

of the cases are Influ. and flat feet together with a few Ortites and

minor surgical cases.  The people here are not openly antognistic

while many of them really seem glad to see the Americans come

in.  On the other hand they hate the sight of an English or French

soldier.  We have several German women working for us about

the hospital and in the kitchen.

Have been put in charge of the second floor in the hospital

building.  Have twelve wards and seven ward men.  Only two

of the wards have over twelve beds.

There is much speculation as to the length of time Evac 3 will

be in Germany.  Some set the period as long as eight months

while others put it as low as five weeks.  I wonder who will win

the money.  I only hope I am home by the first of August next.

Have had three days bad weather.  Hope the sky clears soon.

it hardly seems possible however that it is nearly the middle of

Dec. for there is no frost what ever in the ground nor are the

nights at all cold.  it is this infernal dampness in the atmosphere

which makes one uncomfortable.  I thought when we left France

that I had seen about the last of it but surely I was mistaken.

When we took over the post we found a large number of leather

helmets wich the Germans at one time had ready for dress parade

in Paris.  Now I have one fo them ready to send home for a dress

parade of souveniers.  C’est la Geurre.

‘  1/21/19  Am yet in Treve at the same old job.  Have made a few

trips into the city for souveniers.

Souvenier book of Germany

Two of the pictures in the booklet that he bought in Germany.  Had some pictures taken today.  Expect to be on the way home soon. 1/27/19   Had about 1/2 inch of snow last night.  It is the first since we have been in Germany. Hope it is the last.

A week ago to-day Mq Elroy, the first man to die out of our outfit was burried.   2/14/19   Expect our relief to-day.  Ger. Pershing will probably be here to-morrow to inspect the place and we will  pull out on Sunday or Monday.  It hardly seems possible that we are about to start for home.   2/15/19  Our relief came in to-night.  Ger Perching however, did not make his inspection.  Don’t know just when we will leave but expect that it will not be morethan three days.   3/30/19   Left Treves on the 28th.  Had not done any hospital work since 2/21/19.  All out side police.  We are riding in box cars,  16 to our car and having a fine trip.  Am at Gievres now waiting for a new engine and crew.  Expect to reach Brest about Tuesday.  One of the boys just bought some eggs  and fried them up  for us.  The first I have had since just after leaving Trier.  Was rather sorry to leaveTrier but I certainly wouldn’t stay when I have a chance to go home.   4/8/19  Land in Brest about 2 A.M.  April 1 and march out to Camp Pontanegen immediately.     Am at that camp yet  patiently(not by a —–)waiting for our turn to sail.  Have passed all of our inspections in first class condition.  Have been doing detail work about camp most of the time.  Am resting to-day after working last night.   Ran on to the vanguard of the Y.D. Divion there but did not see Paul Clark.  Expect the 42nd Division soon.   Left Brest Sat April 12, 1919.  Landed in New York April 20 and went to Camp Dixfor discharge.  Got my papers April 24 and reach home the next day.

Uncle Web, Auntie(Mother), Angie(sister) Herman (brother) and Guy

7 Responses to DIARY OF GUY THAYER WWI Medical Corp

  1. Some genuinely excellent content on this site, regards for contribution.

  2. Bhaidaya says:

    I read the whole thing! Fascinating

    • I never saw this until after my father died. I knew he was in the war and knew he was a nurse but nothing more until I sent my brother a family history I had compiled. Then he told me he had this diary and he let me take it to make a copy. I didn’t have a very good copy machine but at least I got a copy for my records, then I gave it back to him. He has died now and his kids have all the family stuff that Warren had. Mother told me before she died that all of my father’s things were given to Warren because he was the boy. Some of the things I remeber and now assume were given to him but many many things were given to him that I never saw. Warren told his oldest daughter about some of the things but most of the family things he never told his kids about either so now they will be lost forever. The kids have the house up for sale and Jim was given the job of cleaning out the barn where much of the old stuff was and he knew nothing about the family pieces. When mother was breaking up her house she offered the family things to Warren first because he still lived there in Harrisville and he was the oldest, many of the things from her mother she gave to Shirley and what the other two didn’t want was given to me to keep as family treasures. I got many things from Auntie who was my father’s step-mother and aunt, and much of the family pieces from Grandad’s side of the family. So we do have alot of the family memories to keep alive. I would love sometime to do some research on the first world war and turn this diary into to a story but at the moment my plate is full and time just isn’t available.

  3. I simply want to mention I’m very new to weblog and definitely loved your web-site. Likely I’m likely to bookmark your site . You really have incredible posts. Kudos for sharing your blog site.

    • Thank you! Do let me know if there is anything you wish me to tell you about farming or collecting family history. Do subcribe to my site and you will be notified when I add a new blog. Thank you so much for taking the time to say “hi” it means alot to me to know there is someone out there I am talking to. Have a great day. Carol

  4. I send these blogs to my cousin Carl, who does not have a computer so I will post his comments for everyone to read.
    “Alice and I enjoyed reading your Dad’s diary. I didn’t have any idea what he had done in the Service. He never talked about it when I was around.
    I am sure my kids will like reading it. Especally Sue as her Uncle Guy was very special to her.
    When I was growing up my Dad was not around much and your dad took an interest in me. He never lectured me but once in a while he would say something for me to think about, what I was doing or should be doing. He set a great example for me.
    My dad used to have a lot of stories about the service, but we were never sure what to believe. i know he claimed to be driving ammunition trucks and the day he was to go into the trenches the war ended so he never got to the Front Lines.”
    My mother told me Uncle Clarence (Carl’s father) was mustard gassed in the service and that was why he was not around much as he spent alot of time in the VA Hospital. You can see more about this on my posts about 1928. That was the year Carl was born and he lived with his grandmother. My father was living at home then also so he had quite an interest in Carl.

  5. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around
    your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your
    feed and I hope you write again soon!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.