1932, That Was a Very Good Year

This is the Milton Young farm in North Haverhill where Dora/Auntie grew up.   Milton and Lucia Adelaide (Addie) raised 5 children, three girls and two boys until Addie’s death at age 35.  Dora was only six years old when her mother died and her father remarried a young widow, Alice Swain.  They had two sons, Maurice and Carl.

This is Addie and her first baby, Hattie.  She was my grand mother, Guy’s mother, Dora’s sister.   Addie was only 35 when she died and she had been confined to a wheel chair the last three years of her life.  Hattie died at age 29 of TB after having three live births and two children that died shortly after birth.  The last child was born the same day she died.

Back to 1932.  Dora lived in the brick house on the canal in Harrisville.  She still had boarders but mostly elderly people who needed some one to cook for them and help take care of them.  She ran a boarding house when the mill was working or when people needed a place in Town to spend a night or two.  The three children were now all married and had homes of

their own.  The eldest was Guy.  You may remember he spent all his evening going to Keene to be with Helen.  He married Helen in 1929 and they came back to Harrisville to live.  At that time married girls could not teach school in NH so she stayed home while Guy worked in the mill whenever there was work.  They lived in a mill house on Peanut Row, the ones he had been wiring in 1928.  He still did wiring work whenever he could get work but things were hard in 1932.

S.P. (Seldon Tuttle was still living at Dora’s house full time.)

This is the apple of Guy’s eye, Helen.

Angie no longer lived with Auntie.  Clarence was out of the hospital and he took his family to a farm in Lempster, NH.  Not far from Harrisville and close to Goshen where Cloie lived.  She had married a man 30 years her senior, had no children and was always ready to help any family member who might need help.  Angie gave birth to another boy, Bob in 1930 and a girl, Angie May in 1931.    Herman was married to Emma, a widow with a little girl.  They had a little girl together, Phyllis.   They lived in Harrisville.  Herman was night watchman in the mill so he was the only one with full employment all through the depression.  So now back to the diary.

Feb. 1.  Mon  Cold & windy   Worked in the mill    had a cold.

Feb 2.  Tue.   Snow storm   Did not do much   had a bad cold   some of mill out.

Feb. 3  Wed  Moderate   did nothing   had  bad cold.

Feb. 4  Thur.  Cloudy & cold   Did a little house work  my cold not much better.

Feb. 5  Fri.  A big snow storm last night.  Fair & cold  Did a little sewing  Mrs. Hall was over in P.M.  about a foot of snow last night     got hay $18.00.   New boss for sewing. (this would be the sewing/burling in the mill )

Feb. 6  Sat.  Cloudy & mild   Did little work and went over to Guy’s in P.M.    cold much better.

Feb 7.  Sun.  Fair & mild  sit around all day and in P.M. went over to Gertie’s to see horse race.   Herman’s family over.

Feb. 8.  Mon. Snow   Worked in mill   began to burle with Alma.

Feb. 9  Tue.   Fair   Worked till 9 a.m.  Then all of P.M.  (Everyone worked by the quarter hour.  A person was called in to work but if the material was not right there the person was sent home to wait, off the clock, until the material was ready for them.  One woman tells of spooling and the bobbins were not ready when she need them so she was told to clock out and go home.  She lived right next to the mill and as she walked into the house the phone was ringing, it was the mill calling her back to work.  Most  worked by the hour but the weavers work piece meal and a few others did the same.)

Feb. 10  Wed.  Snow storm.  Worked in mill all day.

Feb.11.  Thur.   Rain & cloudy   Worked in the mill all day.

Feb. 12. Fri.  Fair & warm.  Worked in mill all day.  Beua & Alma got throught at noon.

Feb. 13  Sat.  Fair   Worked 1/2 day in mill   washed & moped in P.M.  Layed 2 sewers off today.

Feb. 14.  Sun.  Cold & windy.   Did little cooking and went to church in evening.

Feb. 15.  Mon.  Cold  worked all day   did 20 pieces.

Feb. 16.  Tue.  Fair & cool.  Worked in mill all day  Layed off 3 sewers.

Feb. 17.  Wed.  Snow & rain.   Worked in mill all day.  S.P. & I went to vestry for dinner.

Feb. 18. Thurs.  Cold & windy.   Worked in mill all day.

Feb. 19. Fri.  Fair.  Worked in mill all day.

Feb. 20.   Sat.  Windy & cold.  Worked 1/2 day in mill   cooked in P.M.  Went to vestry to oyster supper.  Mrs. K was sick & stayed with me.

Feb. 21.  Sun.  Fair.  Helped wash dishes & then sit around.  Mrs. K was better     went home in a.m.

Feb. 22.  Mon.  Fair & warm.    Worked in mill all day    got through till another order.

Feb. 23.  Tues.  Cold & windy.  Didn’t do much   sit & cut off dresses.

Feb. 24.  Wed.  Cold.  Helped clean silver & made out slips.  Stiched babys dress.

Feb. 25.  Thurs.  Fair    Did house work and went to Keene in P.M. with Guy.

Feb.  26.  Fri.  Cloudy.  Did house work    went over to Gertie’s & to Halls & to Helen’s.

Feb. 27.  Sat.  Fair.  Did house work & went to Libary    S.P. went to Concord
Ann Main baby born.

Feb. 28.  Sun Light snow.  Went to church & to Chesham church.  Guy took me.

Feb. 29.  Mon.  Fair but cold.  Did washing went over to Gertie’s & Helen’s to night    Sent Earle a book .


About Carol (Ouma) Petts

I am a retired teacher. I have taught all levels from kindergarten through college and have been retired now for over 20 years. The last ten years we have lived on a farm and lived off the land, growing our own food and canning for our extended family. Now we have sold the farm and are moving to Florida to truly retire. I guess I have always had a short attention span as this is our 11th move. We have moved from a small farm in New Hampshire, to more city type living, small business adventures, focusing more on traveling, Florida living, Georgia, and Tennessee farming and now back to Florida. My blog is a way to keep my children up to date on what I am doing and letting them know I am still alive and well. My children are spread across the country from New England to Florida, Nova Scotia to New Mexico and CA and several places between, They let me know what they are up to by commenting on my blog but they are so busy with their own lives most times I have to assume " no news is good news". Now I are starting on a new adventure so will try to give daily updates until we get settled into a routine. Then I know even if I am getting older and should settle down I will start looking for some new and exciting adventure to start. Welcome aboard. Norman died Oct 30, 2017 so I am continuing the journey alone with the aid of my children, grand children and great grand children. At present I am living with my daughter and we are 7 in one house and cover four generations. We range in age from 7 to 85 and are finding common ground, we are living proof that multi generations can live and function in a three bedroom house if they really want to. Soon my grandson will have his house built next door so we all will have a room of their own except for the seven year old twins who by choice will share a room.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.