As Archie says, ” Boss I’ve been away a long time and been a long way. But I am home again and if your glad to see me, don’t make a big deal over it, just leave a crumbled up donut in the waste basket for me. Your friend Archie”. Well, I don’t have a waste basket to leave a donut in so just leave a comment to feed my spirit instead of my stomach.
I think I have risen up out of my deep dark places and finally can see the point to being alive. I don’t promise anything to anyone except Otis and with his help I am back to stay. I’ll try and write just a word or so each day so if I start getting dark again give me a kick.
The last time I blogged I had just finished my shed/craft room. Now all my things are in there and it feels like home. The AC works great and with a floor fan also even on the hot days it is nice in there. Patty is making me some curtains to keep out the hot sun in the summer and Greg and his crew just moved the Holly tree over beside one window to shade that part of the shed in the late after noon when it is the hottest. The whole place is beginning to look and feel like the farm in Peterborough only I have lots more neighbors here. So far all the neighbors are great. Patty says my shed is so pretty we can not call it a shed any longer so now we call it my “cottage”. I have one area that is jut for the great grand kids to come over and draw or color or play games. I have one set of draws that is set aside for their rock collection and their shell collection. When they are bored they come over and we try to find the names of each of the rocks or shells. There are a lot of them and that alone will keep us busy for a long time. I work on my genealogy there and I keep a puzzle going for when I don’t feel like working any more.
Yesterday Becca and I went to Weatherbee Nursery and got the Live Oak Tree they were holding for me. We had gone over two weeks ago and found a beauty, over ten foot tall and so nice and full for a seedling and only $97. The others we had called around to other nursery that we found were not as big or pretty and cost up to $350 and that was just too much. We were so lucky to find that one but Patty was leaving for a weeks vacation so we could not take the tree then so I paid for it and they held it for us until we could get it put into the ground.

This is Greg and one of his workers putting the tree in for me. They first had to move the holly tree that the builder had put in here, then used that hole to put in the new tree. They moved the holly tree to the other side of the cottage to help block the hot afternoon sun from one window.
While we were there we got 24 sea grapes. Greg had said if I could find some sea grapes he would plant them for me. He could not get any and had been looking all over for some but he had not thought of Weatherbees. They are a rather small nursery and contractors don’t think of them so I got 24 of the best looking sea grapes for $12.95 each. They still had four of those left and a few of the bigger ones for $39.95 each. Greg was jealous and will go over and get those four and may even have to get some of the bigger ones for a job he is doing out on Indian River Drive. They have just finished up so after lunch I will go out and get some pictures and show you how beautiful they all look.
They also put in the blueberries for me and they took the three I had in the big pots and planted those too as the pots were so old they were about ready to fall apart. One of those plants is pretty sad looking. That is the one that was “dead” when I got back from Washington and had come back with one lone shoot, that shoot broke off from the plant and Greg put it in the ground too so if it lives fine, if not nothing lost. It really doesn’t owe me a thing. The birds are already making noise about my moving the plants. I just hope they follow the plants to their new location. If they don’t I’ll have blueberries to eat and if they do I will get to watch the birds again.
That is it for now. Time to get lunch. Poor Otis says he is still hungry from breakfast. He doesn’t get any lunch except a treat when he goes out side. He sleeps right next to his dish hoping something falls into the dish by mistake. Have a great day and I’ll talk to you again soon. Oh, Joyce Thank you for the nudge. It really helped me a lot knowing there was some one out there that noticed I was still alive and not with it. God Bless you!

About Carol (Ouma) Petts

I am a retired teacher. I have taught all levels from kindergarten through college and have been retired now for over 20 years. The last ten years we have lived on a farm and lived off the land, growing our own food and canning for our extended family. Now we have sold the farm and are moving to Florida to truly retire. I guess I have always had a short attention span as this is our 11th move. We have moved from a small farm in New Hampshire, to more city type living, small business adventures, focusing more on traveling, Florida living, Georgia, and Tennessee farming and now back to Florida. My blog is a way to keep my children up to date on what I am doing and letting them know I am still alive and well. My children are spread across the country from New England to Florida, Nova Scotia to New Mexico and CA and several places between, They let me know what they are up to by commenting on my blog but they are so busy with their own lives most times I have to assume " no news is good news". Now I are starting on a new adventure so will try to give daily updates until we get settled into a routine. Then I know even if I am getting older and should settle down I will start looking for some new and exciting adventure to start. Welcome aboard. Norman died Oct 30, 2017 so I am continuing the journey alone with the aid of my children, grand children and great grand children. At present I am living with my daughter and we are 7 in one house and cover four generations. We range in age from 7 to 85 and are finding common ground, we are living proof that multi generations can live and function in a three bedroom house if they really want to. Soon my grandson will have his house built next door so we all will have a room of their own except for the seven year old twins who by choice will share a room.
This entry was posted in Daily updates and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to NICE TO BE HOME AGAIN

  1. Shanti Kaur Khalsa says:

    So nice to get your blog! I have been missing your updates and love reading them. The cottage sounds so sweet, I look forward to seeing it! Love you, mom.

    • Thank you, I hope to get my act together and post more often. It doesn’t have to be a whole book, just a daily entry is all I need, I just have to remember to do it!! The cottage is my home now and I do so enjoy it. Looking forward to your visit.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.