Once a Mother Always a Mother

Slept well last night and was awake early so called my sister at 5 this morning.  Of course she is three hours earlier so it wasn’t too early for her.  We had a nice long visit before I even got out of bed.  Then I remembered Joe was to leave by 6 am so at 5:45 I tiptoed down the stairs to see if he had left already or was just getting ready to go.  He had just gotten up and was collecting everything to go.  He was very harried, he had not gotten things ready the night before and Holly had an problem at work that she had to walk them through in the middle of the night so both of them had slept longer than they had wanted to and now Joe was rushing in order to get out by 6.  Did you have any breakfast? No, can’t no time, So I packed up some grapes and a small loaf of banana bread.  Then I packed up his cold cuts that we had cut yesterday for him and then put his clean clothes in a bag so he could get everything to the car in one trip.  He couldn’t find his shoes and then couldn’t find his keys.  You know how that goes, as my mother always said ” The be hinder I am the be hinder I get.”  I wanted to get him a cup of ice coffee we had bought but could not find a travel cup and he just grabbed his bags and ran to the car and was gone.  It was a three hour drive to his work and the snow was falling on the mountain so I worried until he call to say he was over the top of the mountain and out of the snow.  He apologized for being so short with me and not visiting a little and I apologized for being a Mother and pushing food  etc on him when he was in such a hurry.  Neither of us really had anything to apologize for- he is still my boy and I am his mother and we were just being ourselves.  Later in the day he called and talked to Holly and she made him tell me what he told her.  He said when he got into work, today he had a meeting and then he had to go and help another D.O. to open a new store and trouble shoot the opening and show her how to handle it.  He had to rush from one store to the other and did not have time to get anything to eat.  He had eaten the grapes earlier but had the loaf of banana bread so ate that, he said it saved his life- he was so hungry and the bread tasted so good and he ate the whole loaf. So from now on when has to leave early I will make sure he is organized and ready the night before just in case he doesn’t get to sleep all night .  From now on I don’t have to apologize for being a mother.  It feels so good to be needed.

Had a great day with Luke also.  We worked about 3 hours this morning and then a couple hours again in the afternoon.  And while I was making supper Luke got a piece of paper and he just sat on his own and practiced spelling words as he told his mother we had not had time to doing spelling so he wanted to practice on his own.   Poor Holly had to work an other long long day.  We were all done supper by the time she got home.  We had done our dishes and were all sitting in the living room when she got home after 7 p.m.  We kept her supper warm for her.  She works so hard.  I am glad I can help out with the cooking, I don’t see how she did it before I came.  Good I love to cook and I really do.  They all eat whatever I fix and always tell me how great it was –  I think they want to keep me around.

Now it is time for me to go to bed.  Everyone else is in bed and asleep already.  Have a great day, I know I will.  Good night. This is a picture Landen took Tuesday when he went hiking with a friend.  I will get others to show you how really pretty it is here even if it is cold and dead looking right now.  This is looking back down the Saddle mountain looking back at Wenatchee just at sunset. 

About Carol (Ouma) Petts

I am a retired teacher. I have taught all levels from kindergarten through college and have been retired now for over 20 years. The last ten years we have lived on a farm and lived off the land, growing our own food and canning for our extended family. Now we have sold the farm and are moving to Florida to truly retire. I guess I have always had a short attention span as this is our 11th move. We have moved from a small farm in New Hampshire, to more city type living, small business adventures, focusing more on traveling, Florida living, Georgia, and Tennessee farming and now back to Florida. My blog is a way to keep my children up to date on what I am doing and letting them know I am still alive and well. My children are spread across the country from New England to Florida, Nova Scotia to New Mexico and CA and several places between, They let me know what they are up to by commenting on my blog but they are so busy with their own lives most times I have to assume " no news is good news". Now I are starting on a new adventure so will try to give daily updates until we get settled into a routine. Then I know even if I am getting older and should settle down I will start looking for some new and exciting adventure to start. Welcome aboard. Norman died Oct 30, 2017 so I am continuing the journey alone with the aid of my children, grand children and great grand children. At present I am living with my daughter and we are 7 in one house and cover four generations. We range in age from 7 to 85 and are finding common ground, we are living proof that multi generations can live and function in a three bedroom house if they really want to. Soon my grandson will have his house built next door so we all will have a room of their own except for the seven year old twins who by choice will share a room.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.