I guess we are ready and I want to let my family know where we stand at the moment.  I have talked with Joe and Shanti and will call each evening as long as we have power.  The reports from the weather channel is that we will lose power Sunday and it will be out at least a week so don’t worry if I don’t call for a while.  Shirley is in the same boat with us as is Patty, and her family.  I have not heard from Tom and Roxanne but I am sure she is on duty as a police man so they will stay here also and they have a strong safe house.  We have been through the stages of preparing for the storm.  First we discussed evacuation.  We don’t drive more than 20 miles from home now and that is not far enough to get away from the storm.  We talked about just getting out there on I 95 and go with the flow but that would be a 24 hour drive before be got out of the way and that alone would kill us both so we gave up that idea and just got our house ready for the storm.  We have our house buckled down and food and water stocked up for a couple week stay.  We got food that does not need a cooking or cooling so are all set there and are just watching the news to see where we stand with the storm.  They say it is a very bad storm and need to evacuate.  They are telling people in the Keys go get out NOW and go into Florida away from the  coast.  They are telling people around here to get off the Island and off the coast.  They advise to go west of US 1  and of course that is where we are anyways so have felt pretty comfortable about staying right here.  This morning we woke up thinking about going to the shelters.  I let Norman tell me all the reasons why we should go.  I kept out of that talk as I know I would not be able to spend two or three days in a shelter.  We are not used to being a a crowd of people, I could not stay in bed all day and I can’t sit up unless I have a good firm back on the chair otherwise my hips just freeze up and I could not eat most foods because of the wheat.  But if the family felt better about it going to the shelter I would find a way to live through it.  I just don’t see that they are any safer than we are right here.  The shelters are no farther away from the storm than we are and if this storm is as strong as they say just a bigger building will not make a difference.  As Norman talked about it he came to the same conclusion as I had so then I told him about my concerns and we agreed not to go to the shelters.  SO today I am cooking up a large chicken soup that we can eat hot as long as we have power and then eat cold.  Patty has a camping stove run on gas and if she comes here she will bring that so we can heat the soup when we lose power.  I am also cooking up some pork chops to have with the ham and cheese so we should make out just great food wise.  Now we can pray the roof stays on and we will see you again after the storm.  Take care of yourselves and don’t worry about us. I’ll write again as the storm cakes or as long as we have power.  Love you all  Ouma

About Carol (Ouma) Petts

I am a retired teacher. I have taught all levels from kindergarten through college and have been retired now for over 20 years. The last ten years we have lived on a farm and lived off the land, growing our own food and canning for our extended family. Now we have sold the farm and are moving to Florida to truly retire. I guess I have always had a short attention span as this is our 11th move. We have moved from a small farm in New Hampshire, to more city type living, small business adventures, focusing more on traveling, Florida living, Georgia, and Tennessee farming and now back to Florida. My blog is a way to keep my children up to date on what I am doing and letting them know I am still alive and well. My children are spread across the country from New England to Florida, Nova Scotia to New Mexico and CA and several places between, They let me know what they are up to by commenting on my blog but they are so busy with their own lives most times I have to assume " no news is good news". Now I are starting on a new adventure so will try to give daily updates until we get settled into a routine. Then I know even if I am getting older and should settle down I will start looking for some new and exciting adventure to start. Welcome aboard. Norman died Oct 30, 2017 so I am continuing the journey alone with the aid of my children, grand children and great grand children. At present I am living with my daughter and we are 7 in one house and cover four generations. We range in age from 7 to 85 and are finding common ground, we are living proof that multi generations can live and function in a three bedroom house if they really want to. Soon my grandson will have his house built next door so we all will have a room of their own except for the seven year old twins who by choice will share a room.
This entry was posted in Daily updates and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to IRMA

  1. Rosemary Rafuse says:

    It sounds as if you have everything you need. Awhile ago , the forecast had Irma going a bit to the west. You are brave people for all your preparations and courage to stay there. We will hear from you when we do! Jose is right behind Irma!

    • We feel pretty good now. Jose is turning soon and will go out to sea and Irma is hitting a little west from yesterday’s guess so that is good for us. We are still on the bad side of the hurricane but that isn’t as bad as getting hit by the eye. They are calling for 95 mph winds here on Sunday evening and I think we can live with that. It is nice to know there are people out there pulling for us.

  2. Rosemary Rafuse says:

    We admire your bravery!

  3. Nancy O'Grady says:

    I just was on the phone with Tim and they are staying in their place too. Probably will go over to Mike’s condo because it has fewer windows and there are no trees around his place. They have brought water, food and other items needed over there. Won’t make the move themselves until tomorrow evening. Will bring a battery radio. He expects the power will be out and will be uncomfortable with no air conditioning but…..they have been out of power in a previous storm for 2 weeks. So all “will be preparing for the worst and hoping for the best “. We will be glued to our TV following things and keeping our fingers crossed that all will be safe.
    Hope Norman has some strong drink hidden away in case things get too tough!
    Love and care, Nancy

    • Thanks Nancy for your thoughts. Yes, Norman has a nice bottle of Jack Daniels for him and Patty, I’ll stick to wine. Today I made some nice chicken soup – wonderful comfort food and good cold if we lose power. I also cooked up some pork chops and with that and a sliced ham we can live a while on sandwiches and chips. Irma moved west quite a bit so we should miss the worst of the storm, just hope it does not decide to move east again and it could. tell Phil, there are worst things here than snakes. It is still nice here with no snow and ice so I guess we will stay. I’ll let you know how we make out as soon as the power comes back on. Love Carol

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.