This is my newest project. Shirley has a friend who takes old fur coats and makes them into jackets or capes and she gave Shirley the scraps that were left over. If you remember a while ago I made Scallywag from some. Then she sent me some white and there was more of that so I could make a larger bear. Yesterday I traced the patterns for these and this morning I cut out the body parts for both Oscar and Lucinda. Mine will be polar bears as the fur is white and fairly long hair for a bear.
This is the body of one of them. It isn’t as big as it looks here but the bears will be about 13 inches tall when I am done, which is a good size. This is real fur so has a leather backing and hard to cut. I have the blister to prove that!
and I put on more hair. I have to wind brown yarn around the handle of a wooden spoon, then use a needle and interlock each row so they hold together in a chain, these I put onto his head and sew them down.
This is the back of his head and this is about 3 yards of the chains. I think it would be easier to tie in the hair like you do for the raggedy Ann but I did want to try this new way. I still have this back of the head to finish and then the mustache and beard so I will have a few days more to work on him. I just don’t like to spend too much time all at once working on something that is this hard to do, I get up tight and that is no fun so I take it a little each day and then I enjoy making them. That is why I have started the bears before finishing Swagman.
Back to work, time to cook dinner – pork chops with my nice fresh herbs – OH – So Good. Have a great day.