Haven’t blogged for several days, just too busy trying to pull everything together. We have a contract pending on the farm. We are just waiting for the termite inspection and the FHA appraisal if they both go well we will close on the 18th of Aug. So I have been trying to pack up my genealogy material, my sewing material and my knitting material. I am sorting that and tossing out stuff that is no longer of use. I have that almost done, then I’ll work on my dishes and cooking things. Norman is going through his tools to see what he wants to take, what Joe might like and what to just leave here. Then we need to see about a grand son or other relative to help us drive a U-Haul truck down to Florida and put all this into a storage unit until we see what we will need and what we will sell. The constant rain has not helped me at all and now the awful heat make the afternoons hard to work. This afternoon we will turn on the AC so we can still do some packing and get the house dried out.
This morning Norman woke up t 4:30. I woke up shortly thereafter so I said “Why just lay here and talk about all we have to do today, lets get up and start doing it.” So we were up at 4:40 and working on the green beans. We had picked two gallon bags full yesterday and put them into the refrigerator planning on canning them today so we got tow work on those before breakfast and by 7a.m. we had them all in the canner being processed. After breakfast we went out and did some more work on the raspberries. Norman cut out the old cane and I tied up the new growth and pruned it off at about 5 foot. Now it will branch out more and have more clumps of berries next year. There will be a good crop if the weather cooperates at all. We had a pretty good yield this year but not as good as last year so I have some jelly for everyone to get a little. I still have two rows to tie up but will do that tomorrow. As if we didn’t have enough work to do here we now have a dog!! Someone drove by and dropped her off. She is a very nice young black lab. I know nothing about her as to shots etc but know she is happy to stay outside so would be a good farm dog. She doesn’t run off, she is scared to of cars so you don’t have to worry about her being in the road but no one wants her and I am not going to the neighbors begging them to take her. We went to Spencer yesterday so see if they could tell us what to do with an unwanted dog and finally the police told us to take her to the White County Animal Rescue Center, they have an agreement to take Van Burren stray dogs. They were closed Monday and Tuesday so we will take here this afternoon when they open. It will be a lot easier working in the gardens without a dog to trip over every time I move. We are cleaning up the gardens so we can leave those in good shape for the new owners.
Guess I am all rested up now so will get back to packing. Have a good day.
OH MY! You did it! Isn’t that just amazing… I am so happy (and so sad) for you. You created such a wonderful oasis – I am sure the new owners will be delighted. But so sad to leave such a beautiful place.
When do you think you will leave? I would like to plan my trip to see you… I could help pack up or I could help drive. Let me know your dates, when you know them, and we can make a plan.
Thank you, Shanti, All is going well except for the dog that got dropped off here and just won’t leave. We tried every place in Spencer and finally the police in Spencer said there is no animal rescue in Spencer but that the White County Animal rescue had an agreement to help us out and they would take the dog but when we tried to bring her there they refused to take her no matter how I pleaded with them. At first they said if we waited until they processed the 11 dogs they just got in they would euthanize her as soon as they were free. We said alright as we were desperate but they changed their mind and refused to do anything to help us. They did give us the name of a vet in Sparta that would euthanize her but when we called the vet said NO he would not euthanize a healthy dog and they had two dogs there now looking for homes so he would not let us leave her there so here we are back home with a very scared little dog. I can’t wait for the Human Society to come begging for money again, this is the second time they have left us out to dry, once here and once in GA.
As it stands now Aug 18th is the closing date and we would like to get packed up and out around that time. Tomorrow the appraiser comes and that will tell us if the sale goes or not, then I’ll let you know and I thank you. I’ll be in touch Love Mom