A New Year and a Hard One

1908 was a hard year for Web and the whole family.  The tenament house that they had lived in since moving to Harrisville burned down and the family had to move.  They found temporary lodging at “The Ark”  This was a rooming house down at the foot of Mill Hill.  I was not the best place in town but at the time the only place.  Web had started his diary but must have lost it in the move for the 1908 diary I have starts on Aug. 1.  My brother told me about the fire so I assume he has the first half of the year.  I don’t know if it is still around or not, it has been so long since anyone saw it.  Anyways the family lost only things and went on with life.  I will start now with the diary I do have.

Aug.1, 1908   Sat.  Plesant  Ernest in store   Mr Scotts Family have gone to Vasilburb, Maine to work in Wooling Mill   Ernest & Dora went to Keene   Ernest bought him a suit of cloths $8.50   got me two pr draws & a diary

Aug. 2  Sun.  Plesant   Cool  Boys went to church & Sunday School   Ernest & dora gon for a walk   I am going

Aug. 3  Mon.  Plesant   Ernest in the store   I rep the stair steps   Split wood   Dora doing house work and making shirts for Boys   Guy & Herman went a blueberring

Aug. 4  Tues.  Cloudy  Ernest in the store   the Sunday school Scholars are going to Speak to Night   I cannot go     do not feel very well   got cold   the rest are all going

Aug. 5  Wed.  cloudy  Ernest in store    they clared at the Sunday School Concert $14.75   Heavy thunder Storm this morning    I am feeling a little better   it looks like big storm coming

Aug. 6  Thurs.   Rain  Ernest in the store   rained last big rain   Ernest hauled down a load Boxes for wood    it rained too hard for him go to East Harrisville

Ag. 7  Fri.  Raw  Ernest it the    I am sick     had the Doctor    Predt  had day   I am feeling better fast   ( Web must have been very sick as his hand writing was worse than ever and he had trouble keeping his thoughts straight.  And the next day was even worse.)

Aug. 8  Sat.  Cloudy   Ernest in store(This is then crossed out and the word not written on top of it)   Dora done the       Ernest & Boys went to Church    Doc was here

Aug. 9  Sunday  Cloudy  Ernest & Bouys went to church   Angie went with them   Dr was here twice ( The hand writing is different on this page and on the next month or more.  He told Dora what to write and she wrote it for him until Oct. 15th so he was very sick for a long time.)

Aug. 10 Mon.  Fair   Ernest in store   Layed a bed rested well    had a good night last night.   feel better but weak   Mr Streeter called in this morn.  Dr was here twice today.

Aug. 11   Tues.  Showers   Ernest in store.  Layed abed not feeling very well.   Mr Carroll went into see me.  He has got his insurance $2300.   dora takes care of me.  Dr was here.

Aug. 12  Wed.  Fair  Ernest in store   Dr was here.   I feel about same.   boys went blackberrying got five qts.   Angie got me some flowers.

Aug. 13  Thur.   Hot with showers   Ernest in store  went to East Harrisville.  I layed abed about the same.  Dr was here.  Mr C called.

Aug. 14  Fri.  Fair  Ernest in store.  I feel the same.  I changed rooms   so hot in my room.   had a hard shower   Dr was here.

Aug. 15  Sat.   Fair  Ernest in store.  I feel bad    had Dr Highland from Keene with Byrhs    he charges $10   A very nice man.

Aug. 16  Sun.  Fair   Dr was here.   I am about the same.  The boys went to church.  ernest helped take care of me.

Aug. 17   Mon.  Rainy   dr was here twice.  Hattie Knowlton took care of me while Dora went to Keene.  Had good care.   I feel awful bad.

Aug. 18  Tues.  Fair   Ernest went to Boston.   I am about the same.   Uncle Mose came to see me today.  Dr was here twice.

Aug. 19  Wed.  Fair   Ernest got home from Boston and in the store.  I am about the same   Dr was here twice.

Aug. 20  Thurs.  Fair  Ernest in store.  He went to East Harrisville with Ernest today.  Dr was here twice.

Aug. 21  Fri.  Fair   Ernest in store.  Moses went home today.   I had a nurse from Keene.   Miss Shiney  the Dr was here four times.   I am kind  hard   my fever turned this morning.

Aug. 22  Sat.  Rain   Ernest in store.   I am about the same.  Lellie finished work for dora $1.00   Dr. was here twice.

Aug. 23  Sun.  Fair   The boys went to church.   Mr Courad called.   I did not see him.   I was asleep.  Dr. here twice.

Aug. 24  Mon.  Fair   Ernest in store.  I am on the gain a little.  Dora doing the work.   Dr here twice.

Aug. 25  Tues.  Fair  Ernest in store.   I am feeling a little better.  Dr was here twice.  Angie got the prize to the show.

Aug. 26  Wed.  Fair  Ernest in store.  I feel a little better   had a good night.  Nurse did not go out.   Dr was her only once.

Aug. 27  Thur.  Fair & cold   Ernest in store.  I feel better.  Dr was here only once.

Aug. 28 Fri.  Fair   Ernest in store.   I am feeling some better.  Dr here only once.   Dora got her dresses from Mrs McComb   very pretty.

Aug. 29  Sat.  Fair  Ernest in store  went to East Harrisville with grocies.   I feel pretty good.  Dr here only once.

Aug. 30  Sun.  Fair   Boys went to church   then Had dinner   then boys went for walk with nurse.   I feel better.   Dr here only once.

Aug. 31  Mon.  Fair   Ernest in store.  Miss Shimiy went home today  paid her $32.50.  Dr was here only once.  Dora going to take care of me.


I got my tomatoes cooked yesterday – 1  quart sealed and waiting for the zucchini then I fried ten tomatoes.  We ate some fresh and froze the rest for winter.  Got three meals worth.  It rained hard all day Monday and half day on Tuesday.  We got 6 inches of rain in all.  That is enough for the rest of the month, now we need some sun and the fall crop of squash, cabbage and brussell sprouts should grow like mad.   Today we are going to the farmer’s market.  All I need is to order tomato plants for spring but I do like to see the local farmers and see how they have made out this last two weeks.  Have a great day.

About Carol (Ouma) Petts

I am a retired teacher. I have taught all levels from kindergarten through college and have been retired now for over 20 years. The last ten years we have lived on a farm and lived off the land, growing our own food and canning for our extended family. Now we have sold the farm and are moving to Florida to truly retire. I guess I have always had a short attention span as this is our 11th move. We have moved from a small farm in New Hampshire, to more city type living, small business adventures, focusing more on traveling, Florida living, Georgia, and Tennessee farming and now back to Florida. My blog is a way to keep my children up to date on what I am doing and letting them know I am still alive and well. My children are spread across the country from New England to Florida, Nova Scotia to New Mexico and CA and several places between, They let me know what they are up to by commenting on my blog but they are so busy with their own lives most times I have to assume " no news is good news". Now I are starting on a new adventure so will try to give daily updates until we get settled into a routine. Then I know even if I am getting older and should settle down I will start looking for some new and exciting adventure to start. Welcome aboard. Norman died Oct 30, 2017 so I am continuing the journey alone with the aid of my children, grand children and great grand children. At present I am living with my daughter and we are 7 in one house and cover four generations. We range in age from 7 to 85 and are finding common ground, we are living proof that multi generations can live and function in a three bedroom house if they really want to. Soon my grandson will have his house built next door so we all will have a room of their own except for the seven year old twins who by choice will share a room.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A New Year and a Hard One

  1. Joyce Larrabee says:

    Glad you got the rain you need. Now, hope you get sun for your gardens. ♥

    • Thank you, we have been lucky this fall so the gardens are still looking good. We have cleaned up about half of the gardens but still have vegetable growing. We have two rows of tomatoes, four rows of green beans, two rows of brussel sprouts, a row of zucchini and a patch of sweet potatoes so we still eat off of the garden and keep busy weeding and picking vegetables. Now that the ground is soft with all that rain I am weeding out my flower gardens. The violets are just weeds here but when the ground is hard I just can’t pull them out. Now with the rain I am able to pull the crown and all and the gardens are looking better. Tomorrow I will work on those and see if I can get the two large ones cleaned up. So nice to hear from you. Have a great day. Carol

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.