Typical Farm Day

4 pm and my day is finally done.  This is a typical farm day as any farmer can tell you.  It started at 6 am when we planned what needed to be done today.  Norman startes most days with a two mile walk for his heart and while he was out todayI decided I would weed the strawberries.  When I went out I needed a pail to put the weeds in and in the process of getting that I noticed the Chinesse bitter sweet needed pruning even more than the strawberries needed weeding so I stopped to do that which led to weeding the flower bed around the bittersweet and that led to dead heading the hostas and hydrangers.  That led to cleaning up the bleeding heart and that whole garden and before I got that done Norman was back home and time to make breakfast.  While having breakfast we planned the days work.  Norman would finish up the raspberry bed and I would pick the blueberries and make a pie, then make zuchinni pancakes and fry up the beet greens we picked yesterday.  Norman had the raspberry bed leveled off and was cutting down a tree to put in front of the bed to keep the water from washing down the hill and into the bed during a rain storm, I had just finished the pie and cracked the eggs for the pancake when the phone rang and it was John Balsam from Center Town, he was headed out to the fields to pick the corn and if I wanted it fresh I need to come over right away.  I could get it tomorrow at the farmer’s market but I had told him I wanted it right after it was picked.  Soo we both stopped our work and went to the farm, an hour and a half round trip and by 10:50 we were back home with 11 dozen ears of corn.  We had put chicken and baked potatoes in the oven right after breakfast to dinner was cooking fine when we got home and I put in some zuchinni to bake as we both sat out on the porch and husked all 11 dozen.  We stopped for dinner and do the dishes and then headed for the cellar where we had already put on the water to blanch the corn with.  We did take out a half dozen ears to have for dinner and it was well worth the trip to the farm it was so nice and sweet as only newly picked corn can be.  We blanched the corn, put it in ice water and cut it all off the cob and got it into two cup quart bags and into the freezer.  We got 31 meals in the freezer for the winter and were done by 3:30.  We cleaned up the celllar and went to the garden to pick the ripe tomatoes.  We got about 5 pounds of tomatoes and will hold these until Thursday and put them with the ones we pick tomorrow and Thursday and make more speghetti sauce on Thursday to can.  This evening I will knit and finish Dyhana’s white sweat.  I have a few more sweaters to get done before Christmas.  Norman just went out and found ten peaches on the ground so it looks like the second peach tree is ready to pick so if nothing else comes up tomorrow after we go into McMinnville to shop we will need to pick the peaches and can those if the worms aren’t too many in these.   Time to knit  Have a great day.  My weeding will get done some time I am sure but not today.

About Carol (Ouma) Petts

I am a retired teacher. I have taught all levels from kindergarten through college and have been retired now for over 20 years. The last ten years we have lived on a farm and lived off the land, growing our own food and canning for our extended family. Now we have sold the farm and are moving to Florida to truly retire. I guess I have always had a short attention span as this is our 11th move. We have moved from a small farm in New Hampshire, to more city type living, small business adventures, focusing more on traveling, Florida living, Georgia, and Tennessee farming and now back to Florida. My blog is a way to keep my children up to date on what I am doing and letting them know I am still alive and well. My children are spread across the country from New England to Florida, Nova Scotia to New Mexico and CA and several places between, They let me know what they are up to by commenting on my blog but they are so busy with their own lives most times I have to assume " no news is good news". Now I are starting on a new adventure so will try to give daily updates until we get settled into a routine. Then I know even if I am getting older and should settle down I will start looking for some new and exciting adventure to start. Welcome aboard. Norman died Oct 30, 2017 so I am continuing the journey alone with the aid of my children, grand children and great grand children. At present I am living with my daughter and we are 7 in one house and cover four generations. We range in age from 7 to 85 and are finding common ground, we are living proof that multi generations can live and function in a three bedroom house if they really want to. Soon my grandson will have his house built next door so we all will have a room of their own except for the seven year old twins who by choice will share a room.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.